Thursday 22 February 2007

my descriptive essay

The Lonely Guitar

It’s at dusk when that guitar appeared in my eyes. I just thought it was an abandoned board or something like that the first time I spotted it .And under the last several wisps of sunshine of the whole exhausting day, the guitar had been deserted against the green and fresh meadow under the sky suffused with bright pink. It lay there according to its wishes, just like a lazy guy who spread his body on a tender medieval sofa with Van Gogh’s Sunflower leaned on his hands.
It seemed that it’s really a lonely guitar. Although the atmosphere around was warm and soft, the lonely guitar added much desolateness. In an ironic way, it stopped, in certain extent, my tiredness and busyness in life.
A really beautiful guitar as I looked closer to it .Its appearance was the kind of vital and brown stripe like the skin of tigers, from which I could feel the excitement the guitar would bring to me. It must belong to a vigorous young man. Its exterior was quite smooth reflecting the radiance of the sunset, which was such a gorgeous scene. And the texture of the board was quite thick and full and it made me have an urge to touch it. The six strings were made of grim steel wires, which could make silvery sound. Just believe me that this guitar could make a fantastic sound which could make you feel happy when you are gloomy. Because I was a truly guitar lover and loved the buoyant and smooth sound guitar gave me. What’s more, I could almost imagine the wonderful music that flowed from it. It seemed that I was flying higher and higher and the little angels with pure aureoles were dancing around me. We together enjoyed the pleasant music the guitar made and were completely addicted in the music from the guitar.
It’s an acoustic guitar that you could tell from its extraordinary exterior and unique structure. It’s suitable to play the buoyant folk music, from which I could virtually imagine such a scene: a group of happy people clustered together around a big bonfire with sparks circling above and sang heartsome songs. Everyone was so sportful that they nearly forgot that another day was drawing near. There was some dust on one end of the guitar hilt. It indicated that the owner of the guitar didn’t play it for a long time or he seldom cleaned his guitar after playing it. How lazy the guy was.
I was appreciating the guitar with an adoring frame of mind when several words poured into eyes so unexpectedly .Just behind the six grim strings, it read: you have gone forever, yet the guitar will accompany me still. I was completely shocked. These words are heartrending ones and they were carved by a knife or some hard stuff with resolute and powerful font. And since I paid almost all of my attention on the guitar itself, I virtually ignored the doubt about the owner of the guitar .what’s his character and why did he leave his beloved guitar on the lawn?
In the long run, these words reminded me. And it seemed this guitar witnessed a section of sad love story. The guitar became the only friend of the guy since his girlfriend left him. I could distinguish from the words that the guy cherished his guitar very much. But why was the guitar alone here that pitifully? It’s like a homeless child looking for someone to take him home. All of a sudden it’s not the music but the cries that came out from the lonely guitar:
I want to live life and never be cruel. I want to live life and
accompany you. I want to live life and have friends around. I want to fly and never come down .And I will be always here waiting for you.
I was really puzzled. It’s such a marvelous guitar. But it’s so lonely here at the same time. It gave me so much happiness and sensation. But to its disappointment, I had nothing to pay back.

It was time for me to left for my class at last. Then I headed to the academic building .When I almost entered the academic building, looked
back for my lonely friend.
To my surprise, a tall and straight but rawboned guy with short hair was picking the guitar up. He put it into the guitar bag expertly and then left the meadow with hurried steps.
My friend was leaving me, perhaps, with a happy smiling.

6 comments:

en2707mandy said...

WOW!!!!
Good Job!
I read your essay is just like watching a movie.
The camera goes nearer and nearer, and shots from different angle.You use your imagination very well. I am attracted by the story behind the guitar,and the lyric helps building the musical atmosphere and sad emotion.
And I can feel a calm power of the words.
But I am a little diappointed by the ending, I would rather the sad emotion go on.I prefer sad moving love story,^_^,That is just my view,you don't need to care.

Bing said...

I like your imagination about the guitar. You're sensitive to it.
I think the first part of both 1st and 2nd paragraphs seem a little Chinglish to me.
Good job overall. Keep on working!

Anonymous said...

Dear Stone. Here is the comment from Amy(Huang Ying).
1, the choice of topic; I should say it is really an impressive topic. You talked not only the guitar itself but also something about life.
2, the use of specific and concrete details; you showed me a spectacular scene where the guitar laid. And your vivid imagination also attracted me.
3, the overall organization; you have described from the background to the appearance of guitar to the words in the guitar. Among them, you mentioned the owner of the guitar. It is the other line of your essay which is your emotion: from suspicion, shock, understanding to the comfort.
4, the style; just as your title called the lonely guitar, your essay is full of the atmosphere of loneliness. It brings me a feeling of sorrow and solitude.
5, the grammar, usage, word choice; maybe some sentences in the first paragraph puzzle me and I cannot catch the meaning. I think the expression “spread his body” is a little strange, maybe “stretch himself” will be better. The verb “add” in the sentence “Although the atmosphere around was warm and soft, the lonely guitar added much desolateness”, in my opinion, may replace by “bring”, for the emotion you “add” must be on the same side as the previous. “It made me have an urge to touch it” may change into “It urged me to touch it” I think it is not completed that just to say “it reminds me”, it is more common to say ”it reminds me to do sth.” Or “it reminds me of sth.” For the others, you used a variety of vivid words to show me what a lonely guitar is.
Generally speaking, you did a good job.
Thank you.

Chris Lee said...

that is really a good essay.After I read it,I feel move as well as little sad.Whether you are the people in your essay?

Norah_EN2707 said...

it's good. In my memory, it's a little bit different from your second draft which I had read before. I see more details and vivid words although some puzzle me a bit.And I really appreciate your imagination. As a boy, you are really good at dreaming. Haha~~~, just kidding.
I have had disagreement with your ending before, but maybe it does add some complex elements to the essay, leaving people more room to ponder.
On the whole, it's a succussful one.

stone said...

what i like most is the imagination .and i can also call that story
in my mind ,the essay with its own story is great and interesting for me .at least ,you can't make people boring with just some descriptions.thats the key point in my heart